Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo scandal at National Geographic!!!
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 23:10:05 -0700

Funny thing, film and video have much less-developed culture of ethics
than the still world. TV news photographers are much less likely to be
sticklers. I think it has to do with the fact they're a totally
different culture than still photographers, and ethic came much later
for them. And note, you aren't going to see a lot Photoshopping on the
local TV news. But a lot of recreation and fake situations. Not to
mention canned "news" pieces that come fully-formed from PR
organizations. Ever notice how many of their "Health" pieces talk about
specific products, rather than ranges of products in the same category?

On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 09:31  PM, Tim Atherton wrote:

>> Except for the fact that they are photos of a doctor acting for the
>> camera. That alone weakens the power of the story, not to mention
>> question Gene Smith's ability to shoot on the run. Not that I believe
>> that, but a reasonable person could legitimately ask.
>>

> Interesting questions (to me, anyway) why will we (and certainly the
> intelligent public) accept that (as real?) - even today - from the most
> serious and earnest of film documentaries but not in still
> documentaries?
>
> tim
>
> --

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by reading. The few
who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric
fence. - Will Rogers.

Eric
Carlsbad, CA

Associate not with evil men, lest you increase their number. - Frank
Herbert

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier'n puttin' it back.
- - Will Rogers