Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Leica M
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:57:22 EDT

dorysrus@mindspring.com writes:

> Hasselblads are probably the closest to being purchased by professionals
>  more than amateurs just because of the cost/hassle factor.  Mostly, you
>  can't just drop your film off at the one hour lab.  However, I suspect
>  that more blads were sold to amateurs, again, based on the line up on
>  the used shelf.  A camera that has been cranked for years doesn't look
>  so clean and untouched.
Sure, many well-heeled people more numerous than pros buy these high end
cameras because they gain prestige from owning them and seldom use them. But they
aren't amateurs. An amateur really uses a camera, sometimes with the expertise
of a pro. And he seldom sells his equipment. He leaves it to his heirs. They
might sell it. Which explains why my cousin bought a mint M3 for $10 at a
garage sale. He's a true amateur and even he doesn't use it. He uses one of his
two Nikon Fs.

br