Subject: [Leica] Truth in photojournalism
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 12:56:39 EDT

Eric writes:

<<Your former editor was an idiot.

Journalistic photos should be just as factual as crime scene photos.

When they start playing around with the facts, they have betrayed the

profession and their readers. Period. End of story (and hopefully their

jobs).>>

Eric,

You are looking at journalism from a 21st. century, post Watergate, post
Enron perspective. Put yourself in the frame of mind of 50 years ago, just after
WW2. How many photos of kindly German soldiers did you see, even if they were
carrying Leicas? How many peace loving Japanese? Journalism, photographic or
print, always reflects the Zeitgeist. If it doesn't, it doesn't sell newspapers,
magazines, books, or get air time.

As you well know, the media is a business and you are in competition with
other outlets to give the public what it wants. My editor was a very decent guy
and a Harvard graduate, to boot. But he did realize that if the buyer didn't
grab our paper off the stands, we would all be looking for jobs. Newspapers in t
he 50s were just beginning to feel the impact of broadcast media. Remember how
many print news and photo outlet went belly up during the coming years.
Remember the Telegraph, the Herald Tribune, Look, Life, Colliers, Coronet, the
Saturday Evening Post. Milton Berle,  Eric Severide and Walter Cronkhite killed
them all. Within 10 years, every photographer I worked with, as well as most of
the print journalists had other jobs. Some went into TV, some were in PR, a
few became commercial photographers, but most, including me, were in other
professions.

The journalistic standards you support hardly reflect today's media reality.
Just look at the media lust for release of the Lacy Peterson autopsy or the
lawsuit, supported by the NY Times, to get the Kobe Bryant transcripts. Or the
Atlanta Journal publishing a picture of the "KISS" on the front page. Scandal
and sensationalism sells. A media outlet that forgets it joins the Saturday
Evening Post in thhe waste bin of history.

Incidentally - do you have your G5 on line yet?

Larry Z