Subject: [Leica] Shooting in the middle of nowhere...
From: feli2@earthlink.net
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 15:00:02 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Ok, now here's a question.

Lets say you were thinking about going on a 4-6 week trip to a remote corner of our lovely little planet, with nary a camera store in sight. You are going to have to carry everything yourself. Right now you are looking at clothes, sleeping bag, 2 M's, 3 lenses and maybe a Xpan or R6.2. Basically a backpack and a small camera bag.

Lets assume that your best guess is that you will burn 300 rolls over the course of the 6 weeks. Estimate is based on 2-3 rolls for an average day and maybe 10-15 rolls on a heavy day of shooting (festival etc).

250-300 rolls of film takes up a lot of space.

Would you simply buy bulk rolls (color/BW), 2 loaders and a pile of empty cans?

Does 250-300 rolls sound like enough or overkill? Of course it depends on the individuals shooting style. The most I've ever shot in a single day was when I sneaked in to the press pool  during the Feb 15th 2003 Peace Rally in Hollywood. I burned through about 16 rolls and considering the amount of keepers I got that day, I don't think that was excessive. I followed a Jazz band around for a half dozen shows and averaged about 6-8 rolls per evening. Wandering around Germany for a month I shot about 1-2 rolls on a average day and more when I hit a major cultural landmark.

And please, lets skip the 1Ds and a handful of 4GB memory cards option... ;-)

Anyone have any commentsor experiences to share? Of course the worst thing that could happen is running out of film...

feli

Feli di Giorgio * feli2@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> ([Leica] Daughter on apx25)
Reply from Dan C <leicaman@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Daughter on apx25)