Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V25 #217
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 22:26:29 EDT

In a message dated 9/2/03 2:41:21 PM, owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
writes:

<< The camera isn't an organic being. It isn't

produced by evolution. But it must conform to our organic reality. Maybe
nature

is a technology, but at a certain point it joined up with consciousness. And

it's the consciousness more than the science of perception that is the

difference which a camera image must satisfy.  >>

JB,

We don't view the camera. We view the picture. Perception is the action of
consciousness upon sensation. The camera and the film/digital media are merely
surrogate eyeballs. We must interpret the picture on the basis of our prior
experience, physical state, and all that other baggage that we carry around in
our heads.

Years ago I was told that Eskimos had twenty different words for snow and I
didn't believe it. Then I took up cross country skiing. Now I have at least
twenty different kinds of ski wax in my kit, each for a different kind and
temperature of snow. And the disturbing thing is that I can recognize each type. We
interpret the images of the world uniquely and the camera that secures the
image makes little difference. Of course if you want to look at the photo as an
object in itself you can detect variations from one camera to another, but the
meaning and the associated information and emotion are largely camera
independent.

Regards,

Larry Z