Subject: [Leica] Remote location
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 23:45:25 EDT

Feli writes:

<<Lets say you were thinking about going on a 4-6 week trip to a remote
corner of our lovely little planet, with nary a camera store in sight. You are
going to have to carry everything yourself. Right now you are looking at clothes,
sleeping bag, 2 M's, 3 lenses and maybe a Xpan or R6.2. Basically a backpack
and a small camera bag.>>

feli,

I spent a year in India traveling to some pretty remote locations on a
Fulbright Fellowship. Several suggestions come to mind. First, use only 36 exposure
rolls. Use only one type of film. I used an ISO 200 negative color film.
Second, buy film locally. Packing 300 rolls of film will take a small suitcase.
Unless you are in the Amazon jungles C-41 color film is ubiquitous and is
available in the smallest hamlets. Get your film processed at every opportunity.
Processing centers use the same machines as in the US and processed films and
negatives are not subject to over enthusiastic x-rays at airports. Don't take too
much equipment. It is heavy, space consuming, and invites theft. Take one
camera body, a couple of lenses (35 and 90 mm) and a good pocket sized backup
camera. I used a Rollei 35SE.

Of course if you are really pressed for space, get an Olympus Pen F 1/2 frame
reflex camera and leave your Leica at home. You can get very decent 8x10s out
of a 1/2 frame neg, using modern film.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from Amilcar de Oliveira <amilcar@domain.com.br> (Re: [Leica] Remote location)
Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Remote location)