Subject: Re: [Leica] Shooting in the middle of nowhere...
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 22:15:08 -0700

 Kit wrote:
>If you could only shoot one roll per day, could you do so and be judicious
>about what you shot? Could you limit yourself to one picture per day? Does
>one really need to shoot handfuls of rolls each day? Is it possible that
you
>could use this trip to the remote corner as an exercise in contemplation,
>that is, to keep things to a minimum so that instead of fussing with two or
>three cameras and being distracted by that, that instead you take one
>camera, two lenses, and fill the rest of your bag with x-number of rolls of
>film (whatever number you determine ahead of time that you absolutely will
>not exceed) and then allow the limits of what you've created give you the
>freedom to be creative?<<<<<

Hi Kit,
Your suggestions maybe OK in theory or for shooting rocks, ferns and peeling
paint. But in the real world of a working photojournalist on an assignment
it just doesn't wash, because there are so many variables that come at you
right out of the blue.

Like when the world begins to fall a part right in front of you and you
figure  "oh I used my one roll for today the earthquake will have to wait!"
Or any variations of that scenario.

If you didn't go more than well prepared to shoot the universe, the chances
are you'll not be hired to shoot for the same client again. Particularly
when the assignment is people oriented and one never knows what the hell
people will do from one minute to the next.

And of course to run out of film is the worse crime you can commit as a
photographer at any time. Particularly if you can't get more on an immediate
basis to cover your ass!! And if that should occur and you have to admit to
your editor or client... "I don't have all the pictures because I ran out of
film!"

Well you might as well go out and shoot yourself!

>>to keep things to a minimum so that instead of fussing with two or
>three cameras and being distracted by that, <<<<

But for photographer's like myself who are accustomed to using three cameras
most of the time and often six, there isn't any fussing nor distraction to
it at all. It's as natural as breathing as the cameras are just hanging
loosely around the neck or off shoulders. And as things are changing before
you, you are working the camera of your choice as quick as necessary without
thought. Quite easy actually, the only time it becomes a bind is when you
have to run or deal with pushing, shoving crowds of people.

>that instead you take one camera, two lenses, and fill the rest of your bag
with x-number >of rolls of film (whatever number you determine ahead of time
that you absolutely will
>not exceed) and then allow the limits of what you've created give you the
freedom to be >creative?<<<<<

Another work in theory situation. It's quite impossible because like I
said.... "you never know what the hell people will do!" And no matter how
astute one thinks they are at planning a shoot, some of the unplanned things
are what make the super fantastic photographs and if one were to do what you
suggest............

>>>fill the rest of your bag with x-number of rolls of film (whatever number
you >>determine ahead of time that you absolutely will not exceed) and then
allow the limits of >>what you've created give you the freedom to be
creative?<<<<<

Just doesn't work unless like I said..."one is shooting rocks, ferns,
peeling paint and non-breathing things!"  Non-animated things are easy to
plan for, they don't do anything but sit there waiting for you to get your
pictures and if you screw-up, they'll still be there waiting for your
return.  People don't wait for no man, or woman photographer.

It's far better to bring film home than miss pictures.

ted