Subject: [Leica] Packing light
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 17:58:36 EDT

Jerry writes with regard to my comments on Feli's proposed trip::

<<You are talking hobby type or tourist stuff.  The other guys were

talking PJ type work in a very remote area. The type of work

that Tina does, for example.>>

Jerry, you are certainly right. All I can say in my defense is that Feli
never made it clear if his trip was for work or pleasure. Being naturally
sybaritic, I assumed the latter. I figured that if it was PJ, he would know what to
bring.

After much trial and error, I've learned from my personal sample of one, that
working photographers invariably bring far too much equipment with them on
most trips. We can always think of a contingency in which every last item in our
photo equipment closet will be required. The advantage of the Leica is its
simplicity and agility. With three bodies, six lenses, and 300 rolls of film
that advantage is lost. Too much gear converts you into both an anxiety neurotic
and a beast of burden.

Tina is right. One camera and a pair of lenses will do for most travel
pictures. Lately  my travel mantra has revolved around the theme of simplicity,
simplicity, simplicity. I generally carry a beat up, but ultimately reliable, M3
and a 35 mm and 90 mm lens pair. For even lighter packing, I refine it to a CL
and a 40 mm and 100 mm lens. For a while I hedged by packing a venerable
Konica Leica mount telextender, but I found that I used it too infrequently to make
it worthwhile. I've standardized on a medium speed C-41 film because it is
readily available, has much greater exposure latitude than slide film, and is
quite tolerant of over zealous x-ray examination. It is the closest thing to an
all purpose film I have found. My backup camera for the last 20 years has been
a Rollei 35SE. I have never had to use it seriously with the Leica gear but
it came in handy when a non-Leica SLR failed in the tropics. Right now if all
my gear, cameras and clothes, do not fit under my seat or in the overhead rack,
I pull stuff out of the pack until they do. It is possible to get all the
film and clothing you need anywhere you travel. Just bring money.

India is probably the most visually exciting place in the world. The pictures
I took were not for private enjoyment or exhibition, but to illustrate a
series of monographs on Cross Cultural Behavior published by the University of
Wales. Most of my travel pictures these days are in support of academic research
or special interest publication so clear 8x10s are all that is required. I
would go back to India any time, even if I had to pay for it out of my own
pocket. Now if they would just stop shooting in Kashmir - -

Larry Z