Subject: [Leica] Old Mac programs
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 13:35:24 EDT

Eric writes:

<<My G4 still supports OS 9, and most old G3s can run OS X.

Granted my G5 won't boot OS 9, but it still runs it in classic mode. >>

And OS 9 will run many programs that were developed for OS 7 and earlier. It
will run all versions of Appleworks, all versions of Word after 4.0, all
versions of Graphic Converter (and those of you who can't use Graphic Converter for
image file conversion are really PC impaired), all versions of Excel after
4.0, all versions of Quark after 3.0, all versions of Photoshop after 4.0 and so
on. Almost every program that will run on a 68040 chip, a 10 year old
microprocessor, will run on a G4. I don't have a G5 so I can't attest to continued
upward mobility. My Macs will even run programs developed for the 68000 chip. My
most used statistics program is Statview 512, dating back to1986. My favorite
word processing program is WriteNow, optimized for Macs when they still
looked like beige 9" TV sets. The only programs which won't work are those based on
QuickBasic supplied by Microsoft. I've had to port those to ChipBasic, a
freeware substitute that works on the PowerPC. Even Karen's GPSy works on all my
Macs.

On the other hand, I have plenty of software designed for Windows 3.1 and
Windows 95 that won't work on any modern PC.

Eric, keep up the good work as a FUDFIGHTER.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from Rei Shinozuka <shino@panix.com> (Re: [Leica] Old Mac programs)