Subject: Re: [Leica] Quebecois? and chip eating habits
From: Nick Roberts <nickbroberts@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 07:06:42 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 20:47:14 -0700
> From: Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net>
> Greg
>
> My cardiologist would probably tell me to stick to
> "potrine".
>
> I thought that only Belgians and some Brits (from
> the north)
> would put gravy on chips.  A New Yorker showed me
> about
> ketchup on chips.
>
> Jerry

Ketchup on chips is surely pretty standard? I've seen
that everywhere. But the Belgians eat mayonnaise on
chips (yes, French Fries/Freedom Fries/whatever), and
surprisingly good it is too, revolting though it
sounds.
Chips and gravy is indeed a Northern thing, generally
accompanied by mushy peas. Quite what that's got to do
with Leicas, I know not.

As regards Quebecois, well I speak pretty good French
for a Brit (comes from spending half my time in
France, I guess). Last year on holiday in Vermont I
attmpted to communicate with a Quebecois in French -
neither of us had the faintest idea what the other was
talking about. And I'm yet to meet a Frenchman who
hasn't sneered at the thought of Quebecois - they're
very dismissive of Belgian French, more so of Swiss
French, and downright rude about the transatlantic
version.

Nick

(And to think I rejoined the LUG to talk about
Leicas!)