Subject: Re: [Leica] Schwartz' was:Quebecois? - Freedom Fries [OFF-TOPIC]
From: frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 21:10:28 -0400

Hi, Jerry,

Smoked Meat is, AFAIK, peculiar to Montreal.  It's beef brisket, spiced, cured and
smoked.  I think it's not dissimilar to pastrami, at least the "new style" smoke meat
is.

Ben's and Schwartz's make their own, but Ben's is made off site, and is new style
(moister and smoother).  Schwartz's is still made on site, and cured in barrels in
their basement.  It's one of the few old style places left.  I haven't eaten there in
years (haven't been to Montreal in almost 20 years), but it used to be a pretty cheap
meal back in the 80's.

Always served on a light rye, with prepared mustard (ie:  French's) and a pickle on
the side.  If you just ask for a smoked meat, that's what you get.  I guess you could
order one on a kaiser or ask them not to put mustard on it or something, but then
they'd know you're from out of town. <g>

One of the many wonderful contributions that the Jewish community has given Montreal
- - like Montreal-style bagels, Leonard Cohen, Mordecai Richler, Irving Layton, my
ex-girlfriend (although she lived here in Toronto while we dated...).

cheers,
frank

Jerry Lehrer wrote:

> Frank
>
> Is "smoked meat" what we in the USA call barbecue?  Or something
> different?  Is it pork or beef?
>
> Jerry

- --
"Jazz is about capturing the moment"