Subject: Re: [Leica] PHOTOGRAPHY; PHOTOGRAPHERS; Leicas
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 19:18:47 -0700

This is sort of true. There are some European publications that do
publish compelling work that US publications (who worry about what
people are eating when they are reading their publications) but on the
other hand, I find many European publications are as sensationalistic
or more so than American publications.

Some make no pretense of balance in their reporting. They take sides
and they fight dirty. At least many of the journalists who work in
American publications understand they are working for monopolies in
their circulation areas and attempt to subvert the "commercial" message
that owners and advertisers would like their publications to carry. At
least the ones who have any integrity at all do what they can to
subvert the "business" agenda of the commercial sides of their
publications when those agendas do not serve the public.

Which explains whey owners of news media outlets tend to be
conservative and the worker bees tend to be more liberal. It sort of
balances out.

On Friday, September 5, 2003, at 02:05  PM, Saganich,
Christopher/Medical Physics wrote:

> The average person is exposed to a staggering volume of purposely
> coded imagery compared to what we may call traditional
> photojournalism, at least in the States.  Europe seems a little more
> balanced in this regard.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is
proof
against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man [person] in
everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to
investigation."
- --Herbert Spencer