Subject: Re: [Leica] PHOTOGRAPHY; PHOTOGRAPHERS; Leicas
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 19:36:40 -0700

And sex, and marriage, and sorrow, spirituality, joy, anger, work,
play, sweat, death. It was an exhibit of its optimistic time shortly
after WWII. There was a lot of that going around at the time. But there
was a lot of value to that exhibit as well. The message might have been
hyperbolic, but it wasn't without it's merits.

Ansel Adams was pissed off because the trivialized one of his photos in
advertising the exhibit. It is the photo of the massive boulders near
the Manzanar Internment Camp in Eastern California when they kept
Japanese citizens during the War. They put a little kid in front of a
massive copy of the photo with his arms outstretched pretty much
matching the width of one of the boulders. Totally cheesy, and you just
don't do that to an "artist." ;-)