Subject: [Leica] Electronics vs. mechanics
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:09:47 EDT

Vik writes:

<<The "build quality", or more so "longevity" of

electronics is orders of magnitude different (lower!) than the mechanics

of the MP.  In 50 years, I bet there will be a bunch of dead useless

M7's around, but the MP, M3's, M4's, IIIg's, etc will still be firing

away (if you can buy film).>

The failure curve of electronic equipment is entirely different from that of
mechanical equipment. There is no reason to suggest that the MTBF of a
mechanical components will be "orders of magnitude" different from that of electronic
components. With electronic equipment there is a probablity of failure of a
few percent at initial turn on or very soon thereafter. If it survives the
intial burn in, it will generally work perfectly for a very long period of time,
units failing randomly throughout the total life span. When operated within its
ratings, the failure rate of electronic equipment is usually independent of
the number of use cycles. Electronic equipment usually fails abruptly in an all
or none pattern. It works or it doesen't.

Mechanical equipment tends to fail as a function of use in a slowly
increasing curve. There are two kinds of failure, abrupt mechanical breakage due to
some material flaw or overstress, and gradual deterioration because of wear. The
expected life span is usually given in the number of operation cycles, i.e.
exposures, of time of continuous use, i.e. operating hours. Failure is usually
defined as operation outside of expected tolerances. In the jargon of the
trade, mechanical things tend to fail "gracefully". We can always tell when the
camera needs repair when the 1 second exposure is 2 seconds, or the film winding
gets hard or the camera makes "pocketa pocketa" noises instead of a smooth
click.

The virtue of the Leica mechanical design is that there is enough adjustment
capability in the various moving parts to bring the camera up to nominal
performance specs during a CLA. By and large, integrated electronic components
which fail need to be replaced rather than adjusted. The upside of electronics is
that they are considerably cheaper than precision machined parts that perform
the same function. Consequently we may look forward to much lower prices for
new Leica cameras.

I have no idea how the electronics of the M7 are incorporated into the
package but modern electronic design strategy suggests that all the integrated
circuitry be contained in a module that can be easily replaced without the
necessity of unsoldering and resoldering a number of wires. If this is the case, then
the short time to repair might ameliorate any anxiety engendered by knowing
that your camera could fail abruptly at any time without warning. I lied about
the lower prices. Just wanted to see if anyone was paying attention.

Larry Z