Subject: [Leica] High humidity
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 20:55:43 EDT

Dennis writes:

<<Failure of electronic equipment is greatly affected by the environment. Let
high humidity

get into electronics and the reliability will take a plunge.

Unfortunately the same can be said of mechanical cameras. Whatever wonderful
characteristics mechanical Leicas have, resistance to high humidity and water
intrusion is not one of them. Steel springs and gears rust. Open up a Leica
that has been used extensively in the tropics or in the Florida Keys and you
will see what I mean. In these environments brass, bronze, and plastics are
better than steel and aluminum. The only camera I feel confident in taking on a
canoe trip is a Nikonos.

Larry Z