Subject: [Leica] Leni Riefenstal dead
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 06:54:22 -0700

Leica user and Hitler's film expert, Leni Riefenstal (sp?), died
yesterday at age 101.

She spent half her life apologizing for what she was. And said at age
80 that she wished she hadn't been born. She claimed her films were
documentary, though "Triumph of the Will" has been called the best
propaganda film of all time.

She has worked as a still photographer since the late 40s or early 50s.
LFI used to do stories about here once in a while. At age 100 she was
still scuba diving to photograph sharks.

A mixed life for sure. Something to ponder. Who do we align our life's
work with? Do we look down the line and see how what we do will be seen
some day?

Photography is not simply point and shoot.