Subject: Re: [Leica] New version of iView Media Pro
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:26:22 -0400

Well, I think it's in a different league from GraphicConverter, which
still feels like quite klunky, slow shareware desite having many of the
virtues of a Swiss Army Knife.

I think iView's problem was that they positioned themselves as
shareware for a long time but in fact the product has matured into a
full retail application, and at some point they knew they had to bite
the bullet and price it accordingly. Their competition is Extensis
Portfolio and frankly I think theirs is a better product.

Having said that the $75 upgrade fee is a slap in the face for many
users and I think will cost them a lot of friends. I guess they are
gambling that people will discover that iView is indispensable (which
it certainly is for me). The next step will presumably be a full
Cocoa-ization of the application... the $75 upgrade would have made a
lot more sense if they had done that.

On Wednesday, September 10, 2003, at 02:58 PM, J. Gilbert Plantinga
wrote:

> I've used iView since it first came out, and quite frankly, the
> upgrade price ($72) is OUTRAGEOUS, more than I paid for the original
> shareware program, more than twice the cost of Graphic Converter
> (which serves an entirely different function, but is nonetheless in
> the same league). I've emailed them my thoughts on this, and would
> hope that other users would do the same. Yes it's a great program, but
> I don't see functionality to support the price(-gouging).
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
http://www.unintended-consequences.com