Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG FOOLS - Wonderful LUG
From: frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:18:27 -0400

Hi, Dan,

They don't have to be photographers, but it helps!  If I receive criticism
(positive or negative, as long as it's constructive) from a photographer
that I admire, I give it much more weight than criticism from someone I
know knows nothing about photography.

Invariably, an "I take my camera out of the closet once per year at
Christmas" type will always tell me that my photos are good.  I know that
what they mean is that they're acceptably sharp, exposed okay, and that the
composition isn't terrible.  In other words, they're head and shoulders
above the average family snap taken by Uncle Phil after his 5th beer.

It's not that I don't like to hear praise from those sorts, but it really
doesn't mean much.

BTW, while one doesn't have to be a director to critique movies, doesn't it
help to know that the person is knowledgeable?  Would you put more weight
on a review by Rober Ebert, or the bus driver on your local route? (unless
you know her, have already discussed movies, and know that she's
knowledgeable, but that's another story...)

Finally, aren't most book reviews done by authors and writers?  Most of the
ones that I read in the weekend papers are.

Maybe Sonny was exaggerating a tad, just to underscore a point (or maybe he
wasn't... <g>), but I have to agree with him.

cheers,
frank