Subject: RE: [Leica] some photographs by Bob Rosen
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:35:28 -0400

Had the two people under discussion not been so unbelievably
pretentious, they would never have been attacked. Think about it for a
minute - who else has been attacked in this way for the quality of their
photography? I've been here for about four years and I can't think of a
single individual. If I have any complaint about people's response to
what gets posted it is that far, far too often there is 'oooing' and
'ahhhhhing' over what are, to be kind, very pedestrian offerings. Most
good in terms of improving his or her work. There's really nothing wrong
with that, as this is essentially a social group, a community of
internet friends who share some common interests. And for it to survive
as such, it is probably better that we don't provide 'advice' and true
reactions to the work of some of our friends.

Finally, I would point out that in Mr. Wang's case, a number of people,
including Ted Grant, tried numerous times to provide real, constructive
criticism of the work he posted. It was not until that advice was
continually blown off, and the self-aggrandizement continued to
increase, that the real harassment began.

Poster after poster after poster has told br to, in essence, 'back off.'
And his response to each suggestion has been to spar with the poster.

The lesson in what has happened here is NOT that newbies will be
attacked if they post obviously newbie photos - it is that if anyone is
going to come onto the list and play Susan Sontag, or carry on in a way
that suggests they think their photography is something really special,
they better be ready for some heat when and if they finally post their
images.

And finally, Greg, the IRC group happens to include some of the best
photographers on this list, and some of the nicest, kindest, most
helpful people. It really says something that the group reacted the way
it did.

B. D.