Subject: Re: [Leica] New version of iView Media Pro
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:01:49 -0700

At 4:34 PM +1000 9/11/03, Alastair Firkin wrote:
>What is Cocoa-ization?

It means that the program is fully native under OSX. Most present
programs have some level of emulation under OSX ("carbonized"). There
are a number of levels of emulation and native subroutines and
'toolbox' calls that Apple has provided for to allow the transition
to OSX to be a gradual one.

I've also upgraded to v2 of iView, and while the upgrade price is a
lot steeper than I would like, I find the program worth it and have
been a happy customer for many years.

>On Thursday, Sep 11, 2003, at 05:26 Australia/Melbourne, Johnny Deadman wrote:
>
>>Well, I think it's in a different league from GraphicConverter,
>>which still feels like quite klunky, slow shareware desite having
>>many of the virtues of a Swiss Army Knife.
>>
>>I think iView's problem was that they positioned themselves as
>>shareware for a long time but in fact the product has matured into
>>a full retail application, and at some point they knew they had to
>>bite the bullet and price it accordingly. Their competition is
>>Extensis Portfolio and frankly I think theirs is a better product.
>>
>>Having said that the $75 upgrade fee is a slap in the face for many
>>users and I think will cost them a lot of friends. I guess they are
>>gambling that people will discover that iView is indispensable
>>(which it certainly is for me). The next step will presumably be a
>>full Cocoa-ization of the application... the $75 upgrade would have
>>made a lot more sense if they had done that.
>>
>>On Wednesday, September 10, 2003, at 02:58 PM, J. Gilbert Plantinga wrote:
>>
>>>I've used iView since it first came out, and quite frankly, the
>>>upgrade price ($72) is OUTRAGEOUS, more than I paid for the
>>>original shareware program, more than twice the cost of Graphic
>>>Converter (which serves an entirely different function, but is
>>>nonetheless in the same league). I've emailed them my thoughts on
>>>this, and would hope that other users would do the same. Yes it's
>>>a great program, but I don't see functionality to support the
>>>price(-gouging).
>>--
>>John Brownlow

- --