Subject: RE: [Leica] metering hot air balloons at dusk
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 20:32:27 -0400

Adam,
If the difference between the sky and the balloons is not great, just
use the evaluative meter in your R8.  On the other hand, if you are
looking for dramatic light up's at dawn when the sky is very dark, they
you will have to use your spot meter, measure the flames, and add maybe
1.5 to 2 stops of exposure to bring the flames into the proper zone.
Bracketing here is a good thing as the light on the participant's faces
can be quite good.

Obviously, if you have great access you can meter the faces directly.
Incidentally, adding that much exposure will tend to bring the sky into
the picture as an element.  Ideally, there will be enough balloons that
you can wait to balance the sky and the balloons if early morning is
possible.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com