Subject: Re: [Leica] metering hot air balloons at dusk
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:28:00 -0700

Adam Bridge wrote:

> I'm headed up to Northern California where there will be a hot air balloon event
> in the evening where they will rise on tethers of various lengths. It should be
> striking.
>
> But I'm a bit worried about how to meter it. I'll be shooting with my R8 and
> M6-TTL. Shooting Porta 400VC and the new super version. Taking a tripod.
>
> But I'm not sure how to meter these puppies - esp with the sky which may occupy
> a goodly chunk of the frame.
>
> I'm sure this is trival and old-hat to  you gods of photography but in case
> someone will stoop to suggest something useful I'd be greatful for an
> understanding of the problems involved.
>
> Adam
> --

You've got to get a feeling and mental crunch on how and where to
"place" these tones. I'm picturing darker skies i don't know why.
(That's a song!!)

Chromes? meter the sky so you don't loose it.

Silhouetted? one under but watch that sky. I'd not let it get more than
one over.

On a tripod I'd not use the meter in the camera but a separate my spot
meter. That's if they don't move at all much. They are tethered?

I always wanted to get a shot of a Dirigible exploding but maybe its me.
Was that a Leica shot i but it was.

Color neg? put the reading right between the balloon and the sky and
lock it. Might also work with chromes. And monochrome. And Digilux.

We do that. We create tones in effect to meter and shoot off of by
combining two of the outer extremes in the reading. The dark and the light.
Time to go read my Kierkegaard.  Capt Kierkegaard to you son!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com