Subject: Re: [Leica] metering hot air balloons at dusk
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 20:43:38 -0700

Adam,

In tough situations, i often use manual and the "spot" meter on the R8
and then hold up my hand palm facing the light source and meter off
that and open up a stop. Poor man's gray card. :-)

When you meter the lit up balloons, use the spot meter on the brightest
part and open up a stop and a half or two stops. Bracket. Your film is
pretty forgiving. The main thing is to have fun! I love photographing
balloons.

Also, when they're setting up the balloons, stand near the basket and
shoot into the balloon if they let you. Sometimes people outside the
balloon are backlit and they shadow shows up on on the envelope and it
makes a cool silhouette. If they flame up when you are standing there
to get the balloon inflated and upright, make sure to open up a couple
stops.

Most balloon people are very accommodating to photographers. Someone
might even offer you a ride!