Subject: Re: [Leica] black paint
From: Feli di Giorgio <feli2@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 13:08:01 -0700

Felice

 >Isn't it pretty late in the game to be asking those questions?

Yes and no.

 >Speaking as an expert on industrial finishes, I would say that
 >a semi-gloss epoxy enamel is the finish to use.  Prep before
 >finish would be a light dust blast, followed by a fog coat of
 >epoxy primer in a dark gray color.

Hmmm, it doesn't look like the original M cameras have a primer layer.
That may explain why the paint wasn't very tough.

 >If you use a Urethane enamel, procedure is slightly different.

What would you recommend that would come closest to the original or
current MP finish? Sintaro in Japan bakes his camera parts, before
assembly.

 >Whatever you use, you want to avoid a thick buildup as it
 >WILL chip if you do.  Also re-assembly will be a bitch!
 >Make sure that all threaded parts are masked.

Disassembly was a bitch. I got only so far and then had a local Leica
repair guy do the rest, since I lacked many of the proper tools.

I have a good amount of experience painting. I built miniatures and
models for a good 15 years. I was only going to paint the heads on the
screws. I did some research and tracked down many photos of the
original cameras and it appears that Leica sometimes left the screws
chrome plated and simply painted over them, following the philosophy
that it's a tool, not a piece of jewelry.

Once the parts are painted I'm going to ship everything to Sherry or
DAG for reassembly and a calibration check.

Thanks,

feli

 >Jerry

safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety. 				-Benjamin Franklin

feli2@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] black paint)