Subject: Re: [Leica] Minolta 5400 scanner
From: "J. Gilbert Plantinga" <jgp@gilplant.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:39:27 -0400

Dave,

I've been using a Minolta MultiPro, 4800 dpi for 35 mm, for nearly two
years now. Look closely in the corners of your scans, preferably ones
with some film grain (Tri-X or any high speed silver emulsion), and
tell us if the grain is as sharp in the corners as it is at the more
central (actually user-definable, at least on the MultiPro) focus
point. With the MultiPro I generally use the 6 cm glass negative holder
even for 35 mm film, because with the 35 mm holders the corners are
sharp only if  the film is absolutely flat, and it never is. Obviously
there is no glass holder for the 5400. I guess that what I'm actually
asking is a question of DOF.

BTW, the lack of sharpness I get is only apparent at very great
enlargement, the image appears sharp but the grain gets mushy.

Gilbert

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Minolta 5400 scanner)