Subject: RE: [Leica] Minolta 5400 scanner
From: "Michael Francis" <Michael@francis-web.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:17:21 -0400

Don,

I tried to reply on Friday, but my messages got lost - I assume somehow
due to HTML :-( Anyway, I have the 5400 and am very happy with the
results. There is a small example on my web site which shows a 100% crop
of Tri-X taken on my Leica.

http://www.francis-web.com/Photography/current.htm

Scroll to the bottom to see the example. A couple of thoughts

1) When you have every thing enabled for color film (e.g. dust and
scratch removal) at 5400 DPI this is a very slow scanner and the entire
CPU of the box is taken up by the processing.

2) Dust and Scratches on b&w certainly show up more than if optically
enlarged.

Anyway - overall I am very happy, I find no need to use anything other
than the supplied software and the prints I am getting are the best I
have ever had. For comparison, I had a Canon 2710 before this.

Mike