Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Subsidies to private schools
From: gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:41:25 -0600

> Jerry writes in part:
>
> <<And W. wants to subsidize those private schools, taking the money
>
> from public schools.  Therefore those bad public schools will be
> worse,
> with even less money per student.>>

...and LRZeitlin responds in part:

> This is a common misperception.
>
> > Second, even if vouchers are authorized by local communities to
> subsidize
> parents who send kids to private schools, the vouchers rarely pay
> for more than a
> small part of the tuition. More important, THE PARENTS ARE NOT
> EXEMPT FROM
> PAYING LOCAL SCHOOL TAXES. So the parents pay twice, first to send
> the kids to
> private schools, second to support the public schools in their
> community. And
> they pay those taxes as long as they live in the community, even
> if they don't
> have kids in school.

I am a father and a taxpayer. I view my life long obligation to pay school taxes as being the way in which I repay the state for educating me.

The fact that my children are currently being provided their primary schooling via partial state sponsored funding is not relevant to me.

Regards,

Greg

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] OT Subsidies to private schools)
Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net> (RE: [Leica] OT Subsidies to private schools VERY OT..;-))