Subject: [Leica] Re: Subsidies to private schools
From: Ken Wilcox <klw.51@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:43:00 -0400

In my state (Michigan) schools are paid per student enrolled, and
most of the money comes from the state. Therefore students lost to
vouchers or private schools by any means takes money directly from
the public school. As you said the private schools do cheery pick and
often they are only K-6 or K-8 schools, leaving the the more
expensive 9-12 students to the public schools.

Your statement about teacher salaries is VERY misleading. Most
teachers I know spend a great dceal more than 6 hours on the job.
Grading papers, planning lessons, filling out misc. paperwork and
dealing with parents takes many more hours. Most teachers that I know
also spend The 2 summer months working on curriculum committees and
attending school to enhance their skills.For example, I spent a
summer a few years ago (I'm now retired) commuting daily about 100
miles a day to work at the National Superconducting Cyclotron Lab so
that I would be up to date on nuclear physics. this was done at my
expense.

Ken Wilcox