Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica] Now Departing...Your Favorite Specialty Camera Store
From: Jeff S <four_season_photo@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:18:29 -0700 (PDT)

Eric, unless you're in your late teens or early 20s,
I'm not talking about you. In drawing parallels to the
speciality audio world, I'm talking about those who
grew up surrounded by digital technologies, who take
it for granted, whose main non-virtual exposure to the
market has probably been through Best Buy or some
other big box store (and there's a lot less diversity
there compared with speciality stores of the 70s and
80s)--it's THOSE "kids" that I see spinning vinyl
records today! People of my age (41) and older mostly
unloaded their LP collections years ago and never went
back. By the same token, back in the '60s my dad
couldn't get rid of his vacuum tube hifi fast enough!
And here I sit 30+ years later, building new tube amps
based on Western Electric designs which were old when
he was a kid; I wonder what he would've made of this
turn of events. The ancient #45 triode is back in
production again, as is the PX25-will wonders never
cease.

And likewise, I suspect a good percentage of the LUG
membership _have_ embraced digital photography, and
that many are hanging onto film cameras only for old
time's sake. But I think maybe succeeding generations
will find there's something to like about film
technology. Good technology can fall by the wayside
for awhile, but it's surprisingly hard to really kill
off, IMO.

Jeff

>Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:06:52 -0700
>From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Now Departing...Your Favorite
>Specialty Camera Store
>
>Nothing is being crammed down anyone's throats.
People >have used film for years, and we know exactly
what >we're doing when we choose digital for some of
our >work.

On Saturday, September 20, 2003, at 10:39  PM, Jeff S
wrote:

>> I'm confident that film will survive a digital
>> takeover, and that, like the vinyl LP, it'll move
into
>> an upmarket niche and eventually find a new
audience