Subject: [Leica] East vrs. West
From: "Neal Friedenthal" <neal@nairobisafari.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:49:43 -0400

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:35:23 -0400
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: [Leica] Oriental Asians
Marc J. Small wrote...

I'll have to ask my Oriental friends about this.  Perhaps they would
rather be called Far Eastians?

- - ---
Perhaps that's just the point...That "the far East" is a "Western"
perspective...To those in China, Japan, etc., WE are the Far Easterners,
aren't we? All depends upon one's perspective....;-)

And of course we could just as easily refer to Asia as the "far West,"
couldn't we? Depends upon which way you're headed...

bd,
Very simple, bd, everything east of 0` longitude is east, everything west of 0` longitude is west. Half way around you reach 180` or the international date line where East meets West. The terms are not
based so much on direction as they are on cartography. As far as the prime meridian being in Greenwich, the English came up with the system so they get the right to say where it starts.
Neal F