Subject: [Leica] RE: DigiBack Website updated, maybe the philosophal sensor for Leica-M lenses
From: Félix López de Maturana <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:37:28 +0200

>you read it right, the CMOS WITH microlenses cannot handle the very
wide >cone of light produce by wide aperture optics. This is due to the
microlens >itself. Did you read all the description of the differnet
technologies >purposed to achieve a high fill factor? this is not what
is used by Fill >Factory. Maybe I miss the point here, but I don't plan
to use the microlens >array, because of that, but rather well the N-Well
technology, wich frees >the front of the CMOS form any microlens array,
recovering so a more wide >cone of light. And if this cone is not wide
enough, then add the >microfresnel array.

Greg

I do not know the theory that for sure will be right but I'm using my
digital camera with true wide angles (14 and 16mm) and most of the
pictures are OK. Just have a look to

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=335239

with a bunch of pictures of the Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. I do not
pretend they are good pictures but merely a test of the use of a full
format DSLR with extreme wide angles. I think most of the pictures do
not have colour fringing in the borders even with 200% magnification on
the monitor. I found this defect in some pictures I took with this
camera and a Nikkor 28mm PC (perspective control) when decentering too
much the lens. This pictures may be printed in A3 paper without any loss
of sharpness. Probably much more.

I tried to use my Leica Vario Elmar 21-35 with this digital camera but
finally the lens couldn't work in this camera and this only confirmed
that my 16-35 actually was truly good. So next step is using in the DSLR
their own lenses, by the way excellent.

Felix

PS Who has two SLR one for film and other full format digital and the
first is gathering dust. Not the case of my Ms.

Replies: Reply from "Jack McLain" <jmclainaz@comcast.net> (Re: [Leica] RE: DigiBack Website updated, maybe the philosophal sensor for Leica-M lenses)