Subject: Re: [Leica] Don't Kvetch, Atone!
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 01:14:06 EDT

The classic example is often found at chess games in a park, where one of the
bystanders will make comic remarks on the player's move, usually critical of
and irksome to the kibitzee.

A good kibitzer could morph into a first rate standup comedian or a political
gadfly. Most Shakespearean fools are kibitzers. Most Jewish waiters in NYC
are kibitzers. My brother took one seriously. It's at that moment that I
realized my brother was devoid of a sense of humor. A nation without kibitzers isn't
fit to live in.

A kvetch is an eternal complainer. Woody Allen started out as a kvetch. He
made a profession out of it. He also looked the part. A kvetch is also
despondent. Usually a kvetch is late for an appointment. However, you can put anyone in
a position to become a kvetch. We are all capable of it. It's very difficult
for a vegetarian to avoid kvetching when he finds himself obliged to sit down
with fellow musicians at the Carnegie Delicatessen a few blocks from Carnegie
Hall after performing a Mozart symphony to the hilt. Bach goes well with a
dark Mexican beer. I wouldn't kvetch about that. Kvetch is derived from a German
word beginning with Q. See your Merriam-Webster dictionary.

Now for a dish of potato blintzes and moslinkeh. And I never photographed
that masterpiece created by my Mom. I'll pay heavily for that in the other world
(Yenner Velt).

br

Replies: Reply from Clive Moss <chmphoto@sbcglobal.net> (Re: [Leica] Don't Kvetch, Atone!)