Subject: Re: [Leica] R 19 2nd vers. on EOS-300D (aka Canon Rebel Digital)
From: Grégoire Vandenschrick <gregoire.vds@skynet.be>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:01:29 +0200

Sorry to disrupt the discussions, I just want to reply to this, don't pay
attention, don't flame, no website upgrade here, no investor asked
fraudulously.

The problem of the angular tolerance is not so much the angle that covers
the field/subject in front of the lens, but rather well the size of the exit
pupil of the lens, and its distance to the picture plane. the biggest the
aperture of a lens, the biggest its exit pupil, the biggest the cone of
light coming on the picture plane (for a set distance). And the closest the
rear element/exit pupil of a lens to the film plane, the biggest too the
cone of light coming on the picture plane.

that's why maybe all the new Nikon lenses produced for digital are never
more than f/2.8.

This point the most difficult leica-M lenses: namely the Noctilux (which has
a cone of light in the center of +-30° (60° in total so), but less in the
corner quite strangely), and the most recessed lenses, namely the 21 and
24mm asph though 2.8 (which have a rather narrow cone of light in the
center, due to their rather not so high aperture (2.8), but shows very high
angular incidence in the corner (34° at max)).

Best

Gregoire