Subject: Re: [Leica] More digital comments
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:15:56 -0700

Hehehe, just wanted to get that on the record, BD!  :-)

I know what you mean...too many people treat their Leicas as cult objects
rather than simply good tools.  But there is a visible difference, depending
on which lenses you are comparing.  I don't bother with testing lenses, but
I can spot the imaging characteristics of certain specific ones.  As an
example, I often will have a mixed bag of images from a shoot done with the
16 or 17-35 f2.8L Canon EF lenses and the Elmarit 21 ASPH and Summilux 35
ASPH.  Anyone who cannot spot the differences between these three lenses
must have a glass eye, as the differences are obvious:

The 16/17-35s will exhibit markedly lower contrast, color saturation, and
sharpness than the Elmarit or Summilux, especially at large apertures.  The
difference in backlit situations is even more obvious because the 16/17-35
images will have alot of flare (esp 16-35) and color fringing (esp 17-35) in
areas of extremely high contrast.  Edges and corners with the 16/17-35 will
have a smeared appearance.  At 21mm, the EF 16/17-35s exhibit severe barrel
distortion.  I can often spot an image taken with the 16/17-35.  On the
other hand, if you are shooting in a fast moving situation, with crowds all
around, there is nothing like the 16/17-35!

On the other hand, I'm not sure I could spot the diferences so readily in a
fairer comparison with EF fixed focals.  Perhaps not.  Also, I can't see the
difference when it comes to the telephotos.  The EF 70-200 f2.8L performs
very well in my experience, and in the newest version, Canon have made the
aperture blades so that they make a more rounded opening, which they claim
makes background blur smoother.  I'd say that it is at least as good and
maybe even better than my 80-200 Vario Elmar.

- --Jim