Subject: Re: [Leica] Central Camera in Chicgao
From: Ken Firestone <kenf@speakeasy.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:42:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Phil Leeson wrote:

   Anyone remember Altman's?

Yep, I remember Altman's. The employees sucessfully organized a union,
and won a NLRB election. Old man Altman was so anti-union that he
refused to deal with them, and went out of business. I remember the
going out of business sale.

   3 floors of goodies, last time I was there was in the early 70's-high
   school.
   It' been out of business for years, Central reminds me of them only more
   compact.
   I was there a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday and they were jammed
   with customers, many under 30.
   There may be some hope yet for a good retail store.
   Phil