Subject: RE: [Leica] Central now union bashing/praising
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:42:37 +0200 (MEST)

> As to de-industrialization, ultimately, it will lead to a better life
> for all.  Workers in the third world gain a much better standard of
> living with out having to kowtow to the "Uncle" who owns the land or
> whatever.  Over time, the workers in the developing world will negotiate
> for better wages/conditions.

But then the capital will move again. After a few generations, we'll have
a better world, but there will be a lot of rubble left behind all of these
flights to greener pastures. But I understand your point. I just note that
it's happening. I'll get to what worries me.

> In the developed world, work will
> intensify in the areas of design, marketing, creation, and smart
> manufacturing.  We in the developed world can not stand in the way of
> the rest of the world gaining a better life.  We will have to work
> smarter with more intellectual input to continue our standard of living.

There's a problem with "we" here. Today's news:

"WASHINGTON - The ranks of the uninsured swelled by 2.4 million last year
as insurance costs kept rising and more Americans lost their jobs and
health care coverage."

Now there are a lot of "we" in the US who are not on that gravy train,
working smarter with more intellectual input. In fact, even those who do
work:

" Loss of coverage stemming from layoffs and scaled-back benefits was
primarily to blame, Census Bureau analyst Robert Mills said. "

Not only those losing their jobs, lose their benefits, but even those who
have a job, are getting less coverage.

Perhaps the solution (I'm going to be cynical, without really believing in
what I say) ... the solution is: "Why take our jobs to the underdeveloped
world, when we can dismantle our own right here and bring the
underdeveloped world to us?"

There are millions of people in the US who cannot adjust to the
intellectually stimulating careers you mention. What to do with them?
They're there, right? Well, we might as well exploit them, $200 a month,
take it or leave it. Don't take it if you want to starve, take it and put
your kids to work if you want a place to live too. Just don't get sick.

> If the developed world can not offer better products/services then we do
> not deserve so high a standard of living.

Maybe you're right. Maybe that's what is happening. It seems though that
the riches that have been built up could defensibly be used to "carry the
weight" of those not making it (and those who PRODUCED the riches) in the
brave new world.

Take care!
Daniel