Subject: RE: [Leica] More digital comments
From: Félix López de Maturana <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:34:39 +0200

>... I'm not a Canon shooter. But the primes you site [sic] are
> said to be truly outstanding. Actually, the lens that keeps getting
> mentioned is the 50 1.4, which is said to be a real stunner.

>As long as you ignore bokeh and distortion.

Certainly, Doug, you ignore...

Canon EF 35mm f1.4 .....0.4 barrel
Canon EF 50mm f1.0 .....0.7 barrel
Canon EF 85mm f1.2 .....0.4 barrel
Canon EF 50mm f1.4 .....0.6 barrel

Leica R  35mm f1.4 .....0.4 barrel
Leica M  50mm f1.0 .....1.1 barrel
Leica R  80mm f1.4 .....not perceptible

Does not seem a huge difference. Distortion is important for everybody,
not bokeh and, besides, who's defining what is bokeh and what bokeh is
nicer? I find for instance the bokeh of my Canon 100-400 is excellent

My point is that, being Leica lenses excellent and some outstanding,
there are too some other lenses excellent from other manufacturers.
Otherwise Leica would sell zillions of lenses and it doesn't seem to be
the case. So I'll shoot Leica with Leicas and Canon with Canons and
everybody's happy!

Kind regards

Felix

PS Information given by "Chasseur d'Images".