Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodak Technical Pan 35mm Film
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 02:21:01 -0700

Eric Welch wrote:

> I tried it. Amazing resolution. But with the recommended developer,
> it's very, very flat. There is a developer that Kodak specifically
> sells to process the film, since any other film developer is way too
> active and will blow your highlights out completely. I think there are
> some home-brew formula, but that's hardly worth it when TMax 100 with
> Press Maxx developer is better in tonality and for all intents and
> purposes is just as good in resolution.

I think that medium speed tab grain films such as the Kodak or Delta 100
or Neopan across in the right developers give near medium to large
format results with grain you need a Loup to see in larger than 11x14
prints. Ilfords Pan F sure as heck does because it is an official high
res thin film though not tab.  But the tech pan thing is too much
trouble and money for me.
Although there is a list of ultra soft developers one can use with tech
pan you have to mix them up yourselves and it is still a pain. Tech pan
is expensive a little harder to handle and needs filtration to be
properly panchromatic. This is OK for me because what it needs is what I
often use anyway: a green or yellow green filter. But Tech pan it really
needs it so people look OK. If you just shot land and city scapes maybe
you could live without the dang filter.

The list of developers of the many categories one could use with these
medium speed but high res films from the variety of manufactures is long
and presents a slew of creative and craft possibilities to those of us
who want near grainless 2 over 3 ratio 36 on a roll murals.
Xtol 1:4 is not even a high res developer. Either is Rodinal. Beutlers
is and beckons.

I used to run Tech pan when it was called High contrast copy film in the
70's in D-19 which was the main recommendation then. In low contrast
situations it worked out OK i made texture screens with it. The film was
used for title slides i think. They just changed the name which is OK
with me. It's called change the name R&D. :)
Actually Kodak fond out people were using the stuff for continuous tone
super high res stuff and the marketing guys decided to do something with
it. Not a dumb move as I go but give me the ACROS.
Why did the photographer use ACROS?
To get to the other side.
:)

and warn the chicken.