Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:[leica] Recent Airport Experience with Bulk film
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 12:39:46 -0700

On 2003-10-08 saganicc@MSKCC.ORG (Saganich, Christopher/Medical Physics)
thoughtfully wrote:

>Just returned from France/Belgium/Netherlands and thought I'd share my
>airport/film experience.  I don't like having any electronic equipment or film
>X-rayed, I work with X-Ray producing equipment and the thought of high speed
>electrons bombarding my sensitive gear bothers me.  Modern digital circuits
will
>be damaged from repeated exposure, or are degraded slightly (weakened if you
>will) from each exposure.

I would like demonstrable proof that X-rays of the intensity used in checking
your hand-held luggage in airports will cause malfunctions or degradation of
electronic equipment.

Chapter and verse please.

Is it causing impurities to migrate across junction boundaries? If so what
amount X-Ray will cause this to happen. Is it playing Hobb with semi-conductor
field effect transistors? How? Messing with capacitors? How.

Heck - maybe it's exposure to gamma while at high altitudes and not the x-rays
that would cause equipment problems in long high-altitude aircraft flights.

Adam