Subject: Re: [Leica] What Meter for M3 - MC, MR new Voigtlander VC ?
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@panix.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:23:12 -0400

i bought both a MC and MR(4) meter from KEH.    the MC works and
is fine in daylight, plus it has a nifty incident cover so you
can use it as an incident meter.  the MR4 is better for interiors
and darker situations.  i even use it with the noctilux, reading by
the notch just under "f1.4"  i use the CRIS MR9 adapter and normal
button cells (the same kind you use in an M6).  my MR4 was a little
wavery because of the corrosion caused by the mercury cells.
Quality Light Metric put it in order.  the MR4 is nice because after
you take a reading, it locks the needle.

coupled meters are nice because they're nearly automatic,
especially if you tend shoot wide open all the time.  you
just turn the meter's large shutter dial (which turns the
camera's dial) until the needle points at your aperture.

i think the MC and MR meters are very nice-looking, the tiny
numbers and values through the clear meter face are like a
fine mechanical chronograph.

beware: the metal shell is fragile, much more so than the camera's
body.  i found out the hard way when my m3 was shipped upside down
and the camera's weight flattened the meter.  but george milton
of quality light metric fixed that too.

- -rei