Subject: Re: [Leica] Portfolio
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:52:14 -0700

Mark Delk wrote:

> I think the question is
>
> How much would it cost for him to hire someone to do this for him? That
> is the value I would use.
>
> My guess is that it would cost at least 2 or 3 times more to get it
> done rather than doing it himself.
>
> Mark

Traditionally when the photographer himself makes a print rather than
his assistant or an outside color printer there is a premium charged for
it. Not the other way around.
The same finger on the shutter button is the same finger on the enlarger
timer button and the same hands magically wave around over the print
dodging and burning getting exactly what the photographer had in his
minds eye when he clicked the shutter.

This may be erroneous as the worlds worse photographer's time is
probably worth less than the worlds greatest printer. And that could be
the very printer the schock artist might be going to.
But in general that's how it works.
I charge a lot more for a print than most of the pros i know. Most of
the pros i know have it done outside. That's why. In most cases i know
than when my friends see their prints "come back" they know they
themselves could have done better. Although you can get out of practice
and that's happened to me.
Do they get better prints from me? Yes they do. IF i didn't think so I'd
be in bad shape. But i do have my bad days and i can get subjective.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com