Subject: [Leica] re: photo collection software
From: "Duane & Cheri Birkey" <duanebirkey@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:54:48 -0500

I've been using Extensis Portfolio 5.0 and 6.0 for several years now...

Whether or not it is the best, I don't know... but it works very well for
me...  I have probably around 19,000 images in my main catalog of archived
images for distribution... a second catalog of a couple of thousand to be
archived, sitting on my raid drives that I need to edit, adjust and
archive... and a third catalog of another 15,000 raw files and odd psd and
jpg files of stuff that I don't want to discard... but don't want to have to
wade through on a regular basis, in a secondary archive system...
Portfolio allows me to search through multiple catalogs for things... and
you can quickly sort and copy entries from one catalog to another etc...

If someone asks me for a catalog of all health care related photos... I can
generate one in a couple of minutes....

I make 3 copies of every cd I archive...  1 copy goes to our HQ in the
US.... one goes in a metal file cabinet never to be touched and the 3rd is
my working copy... I had been using Kodak Gold cd's but since those are long
gone and I'm about out... I'm switching to Mitsui or Mam-a Gold Archive cds.

I also use portfolio 6.0 to generate html based catalogs that we have on our
LAN... and whenever I photograph someone or an event where I give them a cd,
or cds.... I include a linked thumbnail catalog and browser software they
can use to view the images quickly.... So it Portfolio offers a lot of
useful options...

The trick to using organizing files easily in the digital file realm... in
my opinion.... is renaming files as you add them...  I start with a 3 letter
subject code or something so you can sort them by subject quickly...  in my
case..  HVQ is Hospital Vozandes Quito, EMN Ecuadorian Mountains...  EAN
Ecuadorian Animals etc etc.etc.....

Portfolio 6.0 has a nice function where you can rename things... splitting
them into 3 parts...  I use a three letter subject code... a 4 digit
sequential number ( you can start numbering anywhere, like at 1400 for
example) and then I add a final letter code that allows me to sort out
various sized versions of the same original file...  O is original... H is
800x600 jpg saved at level 9 for PowerPoint...  R is 1200x1800 for a 4x6
print etc...

This allows you to rename and renumber things fast without overwriting files
or wondering whether two different sized files are of the same neg, slide or
digital file....  Since all of my Ecuador children photos start with ECH....
so I can sort the catalog by name and find photos of Ecuadorian kids fast...
without including children from Russia or Morocco... You can also sort by:
starts with... ends with.. file type, size, keywords... volume/cd label
etc... etc.

It is a program I don't think you can outgrow and it's not outrageously
priced considering what it does and how quickly it works...  I haven't seen
anything that works better...

For what it's worth.

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador
http://ecuadorphotos.tripod.com

I am beginning to get thousands of digital pictures on my harddisks. I
really need a good program to keep track of them. Which is the best one
these days ? Thumbsplus ?

/HD