Subject: Re: [Leica] Help with an older Summicron
From: Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:03:42 -0400

Patrick:

From the serial number, almost certain to be 2nd version, either a dual
range (you can tell by a flat "platform" on the top of the focusing mount on
which the close-up viewfinder fits) or a rigid.

>  From Camequest wed site:

> Second version 1956-68 Rigid chrome, although a few were made in black by
special order. Aesthetically a very handsome lens, sought after by shooters
and collectors. This lens was   tested to have the highest resolution (at
the expense of some contrast) of any 50 Summicron several years ago by a
Japanese photography magazine.

..............Erwin Puts acknowledges that the DR/Rigid Summicron has better
resolution than the current formula 50/2 Summicron.

>Again, very prone to front lens scratches.  For many years thought to be
the same optical formula as the collapsible, recently it has been confirmed
to be slightly different.

.............it is significantly different; still seven elements with two
"air lenses" but much improved contrast across the image.

> Third version 1956-1968  Dual Range Summicron,  chrome.   This is a
special close focusing version of # 2 above.   The 50/2 Duel Range Summicron
had the highest tested resolution of any lens ever tested by the great and
sadly departed American photography magazine, Modern Photography.   It has
the closest RF coupled focusing of any M lens.   7 elements.   Most
"experts" say the optical formula is the same as the rigid, but many
experienced DR users claim they get different results and so believe they
must be different formulas.

.............absolutely identical optical formulas. If the optical cell has
inscribed the digits "19" on the black metal retaining ring seen from the
rear, it can be used interchangeably in focusing mounts of either DR or
Rigid (so long as the Rigid's focusing mount has "19" inscribed to the right
of the distance scale. Later production examples of both versions had
somewhat improved coating.

Patrick, here is one user whose only 50mm f/2 lens are DR/Rigid Summicrons
from the mid-late 1960's. The current optical formula is designed for and
delivers better contrast at full aperture. If you don't shoot at full
aperture most of the time, I believe that the DR/Rigid offers the best
balance of resolution and contrast available even today  in a 50mm lens. If
you do shoot a great deal at f/2 and you have only one 50mm lens, you
probably want the 50/1,4 Summilux.

Price? If it is truly mint mint, with the "eyes," (perfect glass, smooth
focusing and aperture rings) could be $550.-750. on eBay. Curiously, a truly
mint Rigid lens is likely to be somewhat more valuable than a mint
Dual-range. Reason, the professional photojournalists didn't buy the more
expensive DR's as they didn't need the close-up capability. Advanced
amateurs tended to buy the DR, and use them more carefully. Result, less
likely to find a mint Rigid.

If necessary, full clean-lubricate-adjust (CLA) should cost $100.-125. plus
roundtrip shipping.

Seth                LaK 9