Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo Contest: MASSIVE FILM CAMERA COUNTEROFFENSIVE!
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 04:00:06 -0700

Johnny Deadman wrote:

> The fact that you have to have a competition for 'film only' only
> dramatizes the fact that the tide has turned. It's like having a
><Snip>

I agree this idea did not thrill me and seemed to be coming from a
position of weakness. Film shooters are victims. They should instead
deal from a position of strength.
Well this is the Leica users group. By the name one would think it meant
a group of people discussing the use of their Leica's. And some of this
discussion is over the pictures we see done with these cameras -
digital, M, screwmount or R. Oh and those point and shoots which take film.

We can upload a shot taken with our Pentax ME and Super Takamar 50
whatever and claim it was done with a Leica MP with a Summicron 50 and
who's going to know? The darn things are 200 pixels across it could have
been done with a Minox or a plastic lensed Brownie.
But no one does that because they can just say it was done with the
Pentax and get royally defended buy a constant faction who feels that on
the LUG photography comes first; not the specific use of Leica cameras.
I say cool idea but this is the Leica users group and I'm surprised
there was ever an argument.

R is supposed to be more in the background here but no one is about to
complain when a thread at least has to do with Leica cameras. Digital
issues are so burgeoning that we are less picky when they are produced
with other than Leica cameras seeing that Leica digital cameras are
pretty much other than Leica cameras.
And the serious Leica digital cameras are Dreamware.
Anything we look at here has gone thought a digital scanning and
tweaking process. So digital is something we can't ignore. And seems
friendlier as we go along.

Johnny, My point being if we are here to talk about a specific camera
and this
list started even before Leica digital cameras were ever made then why
can't someone do a thing which is only about film?
I'll admit to never having much interest in the pure silver list i don't
worship the stuff and feel there should be room for both. I am committed
to having a digital year for myself this year though and am immersing
myself in it at the expense of my M system chops. But that's what I feel
I have to do now.
So when someone says "no digital" then I'm out. Maybe next year.
But it's really them that's out I think.
Its like Talbot and Lumière and Niépce are just now saying:
"Hey mix these chemicals together and grab this lens and a box and do
this!"
And the other guys are going:
"No it's got to be done with my brush and water colors otherwise it just
really has no value at all! Stop distracting us with these Godless technologies!"

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com