Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Paypal
From: Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:36:21 -0700

Eric wrote:

> Robert:
>
> >Those of you who are thinking of using Paypal may be interested to have a
> >look at the Paypal wall of shame at paypalwarning.com (or the like).  Makes
> >for a very informative reading.
> >
> >  Long live the money order.
>
> For a buyer, how is a money order any safer than Paypal?
>
> Eric

Eric, it is not safer for the buyer. But when you use Paypal make sure the
charge is against your credit card, not your bank account.

If you do not receive the goods your credit card company, or bank, should
reverse the charge. You will likely have to provide documentation, in some cases
it may simply be your written statement that you did not receive the goods. (of
course you should first make efforts to contact the seller about the shipment)

If the goods are not as represented, the same basic rules apply, you will have
to return the goods, if possible, to the seller.

If your bank is not cooperative it's time to get another bank, and read the
credit card terms and conditions because I suspect they provide for redress in
the case of fraud or misrepresentation by a seller.

I have reversed credit card charges through Paypal twice. I had to document that
goods were not received, one case, and that goods were not as represented in the
other case.

When you purchase with a credit card you have power to make the seller perform,
with cash you would have to go to the courts which is clearly not feasible
unless we are talking big bucks and even then the outcome is seldom satisfying.

Bests
Dennis

Message from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: Paypal)