Subject: RE: [Leica] CV 50mm Nokton 1.5 vs. used Summicron
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:03:49 -0400

In terms of performance, the Summicron will provide a better image at
all apertures.  However, if you need the speed, then the Nokton is a
good choice.  Do not however, ignore either the Nikon or Canon 50mm in
LTM from the fifties.  For example, as a lark, I picked up a really
clean 50mm F1.4 Canon lens at Central in Chicago.  Compared to a current
Canon, Zeiss, last generation Summilux R, or the current Nikon (Don't
ask why I own all these lenses) this lens is possibly sharper at 1.4
with a good contrast and typical double gauss bokeh (good).  The one
place it fails somewhat is in resistance to flare.  It also suffers from
field curvature.

So, in your search, if you find a clean LTM Nikon or Canon F1.4 give
them serious thought.  You will be pleasantly surprised by the results.
See Dante Stella's website for more information on these lenses.

For truth in advertising the lens I bought appears to have been
professionally cleaned so was probably was at least as good as new.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com