Subject: Re: [Leica] m7...good or not AND R9
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:59:11 -0500

Alastair Firkin wrote:

> On a similar note, anyone using the R9. Any comments on it V R8 etc. If
> one needed a second body, buy another R8 cheap, or put out for the r9?

Tough call.

I have both, and the differences are exactly as detailed by Erwin and
others. Probably the most significant are the weight reduction and the
lock on the mode dial which prevents inadvertant mode changes. These are
unfortunately all too possible when using the R8 (as when carrying it
over a shoulder such that the mode dial can rub against your hip). If
you're using an R8 already and are used to avoiding that particular
problem, I think one is hard pressed to justify the current price
diffential.

For me, the R8 body balances better with the heavier lenses such as the
180mm/2.8 and the R9 balances better with the lighter lenses such as the
21-35 zoom. That's how I use my outfit and I'm happy with both. FWIW, I
use them both with winders, not motors.

The problems that people have had with the R8 seem to be mostly with the
camera/motor or camera/winder interface. Mine worked fine without the
winder but wouldn't correctly sense the end of roll with the winder
mounted. A trip to Leica fixed it. I think the other unadertised
difference between the cameras is that in the R9 Leica fixed whatever
this problem was. So if you get an R8, just be sure to get it with the
warranty and you should be fine. If this problem occurs, once fixed it
seems to stay fixed.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014