Subject: Re: [Leica] California bashing - was Fires
From: "Barney Quinn" <Barney.Quinn@noaa.gov>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:55:10 -0500

Jeffery Smith wrote:

> Or let them be vaccinated with a substance tested by an IBM computer.

I'd go a little bit easy here. There are computers and there are computers. It
is a very, very long way from the world of PC's and Mac boxes to that of heavy
metal high performance super computing. A lot of organic and bio-chemistry comes
down to stereo-chemistry, meaning how complex molecules react and interact in a
real, three dimensional world. Modern super computers can do some very
incredible things when it comes to modeling and simulating things. We are in no
way talking Bill Gates, the blue screen of death, desktops and OSX and Steve
Jobs here. Scientific computing is done by very different people with very
different training and priorities than business computing types. I don't think
that I would allow myself to be vaccinated with a compound which had never been
tested or validated in a living system, but I have no objection to one which had
as much of the preliminaty work as possible done using modern modeling
techniques.

Barney