Subject: RE: [Leica] something something and now animals
From: "Jeffery Smith" <jls@runbox.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:03:22 -0600

It even comes down to, is it ethical to feed small mammals to snakes in the
zoo? There is a sense that animals lower on the evolutionary ladder should
provide food to those higher on the ladder, but the reverse is not true. It
seems ironic to some that crocs eat zebras and boas eat monkeys. Everyone
has to die of something.

I asked a group of freshmen once (as a writing assignment) if the use of
white rats in research should be discontinued. Surprisingly, many said that
they should discontinue use of white rats or they would become extinct.
Ironically, they would become extinct IF we stopped using them as lab
animals.

Jeffery