Subject: RE: [Leica] The Decisive Moment is gone
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:36:00 -0700

> >> I suppose that when documentary photography was melded into
> the fine art
> >> school of thought, such an excretion from a staff keyboard ponder like
> >> Gopnik isn't too surprising.
> >
> > Been a long time coming - didn't that happen around the 1930's?
> (or was it
> > earlier?)

> I think that at one time it was considered advocacy photography, which has
> once again come back full circle to that definition. Recently,
> publications
> like Doubletake and Aperture have added a sort of formalism to
> the approach.
> The demands of a new photographic consumer, the investor, pushed for new
> definitions of the work on hand. Definitions that I think would
> often be at
> odds with past usages that the photographer's used themselves.
> Slobodan Dimitrov

But people like Evans didn't consider themselves to be documentary
photographers, rather photographers (artists?) who used a certain "style" to
make their point, express their vision, tell what it was they wanted to
tell.

The same could to some extent be said of Atget (although much more of an
enigma).

tim

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> ([Leica] The Decisive Moment is Indecisive!)